In the eighth, revised edition of this book, Ronald J. Compesi offers a comprehensive and in-depth introduction to the production techniques, technology and aesthetics of small-scale, single-camera video production in field environments, from planning through postproduction, in a range of different programming formats. Written in an accessible, student-friendly style, this new edition has been significantly updated and revised throughout to reflect current technology and production practices.
Key features and updates to the eighth edition include:
- A focus on small-scale video production, involving a minimum amount of field equipment and a small crew, offering creative solutions for video producers with limited resources and personnel;
- Discussions of HD and 4K technology/acquisition, LED lighting, shooting with DSLRs and smartphones, new online distribution channels, and much more;
- Over 300 photos and line art illustrations, in full-color for the first time, illustrating production processes, technical issues and equipment, and illuminating key aesthetic elements;
- And an eResource with downloadable production planning documents, links to further online resources, production project exercises, and sample test questions.
With over forty years of teaching and production experience, Ronald J. Compesi offers an up-to-date and essential introduction to the art of small-scale video production in field environments in the new edition of this groundbreaking text, in print since 1985.
Video Field Production and Editing concentrates on video techniques and technology appropriate for “small scale” single-camera electronic field production (EFP) and electronic news gathering (ENG). The text offers the latest material on new digital field recording and editing technologies and is written in a concise, non-technical, user-friendly format. With its reorganized chapters on video production planning, it takes students through the video production process from initial planning through final editing.
Written in a clear, non-technical manner, Introduction to Video Production focuses on the fundamental principles and aesthetics of video production and the technologies used in both studio and field environments. Ronald J. Compesi and Jaime S. Gomez cover each aspect of the process step by step, from preproduction to lighting, sound, directing, editing, graphics, and distribution. Taking into account the changes in workflow and production planning and distribution brought on by the advent of digital media, this second edition has been updated throughout to account for the increasing popularity of DSLR cameras, online distribution, the rise of portable cameras and mobile video, and much more.
Key features include:
- a thorough overview of video production in studio and field environments without being overly technical, allowing students to get the “big picture” of production;
- coverage of new digital production, recording, and editing technologies;
- over 300 photos and line art illustrating aesthetic elements, technical issues, and production planning;
- key words identified in boldface throughout the text and reinforced in a comprehensive glossary of terms.
- Used Book in Good Condition
Video Field Production and Editing concentrates on video techniques and technology appropriate for “small scale” single-camera electronic field production (EFP) and electronic news gathering (ENG). This book offers the latest material on new digital field recording and editing technologies and is written in a concise, non-technical, user-friendly format. Reorganized and updated throughout, with new sections dedicated to HDV (High Definition Video) videotape recording formats, and tapeless digital recording media including high capacity optical discs, solid-state memory cards, and computer hard drives, the book walks the reader through the video production process from initial planning through final editing.