‘10,000 Miles to Go: An American Filmmaking Odyssey’ focuses on the making of the award winning contemporary feature film (‘Terrific’ – LA Times * ‘Superb’ – NY Film Critics Circle * ‘Hilarious’ – The New Yorker * ‘Utterly Compelling’ – Jacksonville Film Journal), ‘BookWars’, a no-budget project which was successfully bootstrapped against monumental odds with near-zero funding, yet which finally found its way into the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), NYC, films collection! From concept through worldwide international sales, ‘10,000 Miles to Go’ takes you through through the entire process – warts and all – stripping away the glamour of the movie business to reveal what it takes to bootstrap and execute an ambitious startup creative project with maximum impact on a minimal budget! An essential book about filmmaking, movie and video directing, film editing, scriptwriting and production, ‘10,000 Miles to Go’ is also a book which any startup entrepreneur or creative will find absolutely revealing and illuminating. ‘10,000 Miles to Go’ is a fascinating and insightful read for all kinds of bootstrappers and entrepreneurs, whether working in media, business, creative fields, or tech startup areas! Told in a conversational and often humorous style, ‘10,000 Miles to Go’ is a real life chronicle and expression of what many of today’s creative and entrepreneurial types—in all fields—will encounter as they pursue their own particular dreams, ambitions, and explorations without much in the way of financial backing, safety nets, or safe-words for that matter. With this book you will learn:
- How to understand the mindset and challenges of bootstrapping a project
- How to use creativity and an asymmetrical (‘guerilla’) approach in place of money
- How to overcome psychological barriers, fear and doubt during the process
- How to navigate the ‘realpolitik’ behind a project’s execution: the alliances, and the real dynamics of competition in the field
- How to demystify the production process of a long form filmmaking venture
- How to apply bootstrapping principles to your own business or project
- How to exploit opportunities to the maximum, whatever field you may be working in!
- How technological changes in any industry can have a massive impact on outcomes
NOTE: This text is based upon real, unfiltered discussions with filmmaker and writer-director Jason Rosette (www.jasonrosette.com). All material is from the entrepreneur-filmmaker’s point of view–this book includes plenty of exclusive stories you definitely won’t hear at film school! Whether making a film, a movie, writing a book, undertaking an edit of a production, readers will learn what really goes into the shoot of a film or video project, and what it takes to direct as a filmmaker. This edition of ‘10,000 Miles to Go’ also includes exclusive stills, photos, and images in a dedicated gallery at the end of the book This is a book on filmmaking for real indie filmmakers, allowing the maker to capture with a camera and effectively transmit a vision onto the screen – whether a project involves a lot of editing, a new director still learning techniques, or a seasoned producer shooting a script or slate of movies for digital distribution.